• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

unexplained breathing difficulties

gonsix

Greenlighter
Hi, I was operated 6 years ago on the right side for a septum problem,they removed a big part of my inferior turbinate too,mostly the posterior part.During this time I have had only little bit of pain on this side.

Starting from month of april this year I am having breathing difficulties,like a suffocating feeling in my chest and remaining breathless for a long time,these symptoms interrupt my sleep too,two or three times during the night.
I have had tests for heart,lungs,blood,ect,everything is ok.I went to an ENT doctor too and he told me that my right turbinate is too close to septum and the left inferior turbinate is swollen from allergies.I am allergic from grass pollen.
My blood pressure is normal,I have a breathing rate of 10-14 times per minute at rest,my heart beat is 70 per minute.
Please can anyone explain me if this are symptoms of an empty nose, that one experience after turbinate reduction,because the term shortness of breath has different explanations.
Any advice will be helpful because doctors didn't have any answer,my ENT doctor doesn't consider my turbinate reduction a problem,but I am having the same symptoms every day.

Sounds like you are experiencing an asthma attack. Did they do a peak flow test or examine your blood oxygen?

Go to an ER. Really bad asthma attacks can result in death.

yes I have been to a doctor and made blood test and spyrometri,they found them normal,the only problem that is evident is allergic rhinitis and the right turbinate which is reduced by previous operation.does asthma have similar symptoms?
This breathless feeling bothers me to much.

People with allergic rhinitis are 8x more likely to have asthma than the general population.

This is because the nerves in your nose and the nerves in your lungs and all one continuum. It is entirely possible an allergic reaction to something in your nasal area has caused your lower respiratory system to react as well.

But if your spirometry is normal your should be okay I would have thought. Perhaps your spiro needs to be done after you're exposed to whatever your allergens are???

Maybe you are right I have read about reactive airway disease and the way how allergens can affect lungs.Does anyone know how is called that test?